What would you do?

What a difference a week can make.

Last Saturday, I spent the morning running 1/4 mile, failing, and then crying about it while simultaneously trying to swim. Not a pretty picture.

Fast forward to yesterday. After having not one but two spin classes cancelled on me, and after plodding up and down on the stair-stepper for a while…I decided to see how my ankle would hold up on a run.

I was nervous, I had ridiculously low expectations, and I had to mentally prepare myself for the fact that it may be a huge fail.

So after my morning gym session, I went home, changed shoes, grabbed a handful of Cheerios, and drove down to my beloved Alki beach trail. Cautiously and hesitantly—off I went.

The way my “running” has been going for the past two weeks has been like this—a few steps of normalcy, a twinge of pain on both sides of my ankle, followed by my ankle swelling so much I have no range of motion.

But yesterday? Oh, dear sweet yesterday…I was able to run. I’m not saying it was without pain, and I’m not saying it was flawless, but it happened and I finished with a stupid smile on my face and heightened hope for the possibility of the Chicago Marathon actually happening. I finished with a total of 6 miles, and while my ankle definitely felt it—a session of ice and an anti-inflammatories afterwards, I was good to go.

So encouraging…and you better believe I rode out my 6-mile-runner’s-high all day long.

So what now? Admittedly, I still am not 100% sure what to do about Chicago. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to try, and as he said, “The worst thing that can happen is that you won’t finish.” He said that doing the race would more than likely not make my ankle any worse—which I took with a grain of salt, but it was encouraging.

It’s really hard to figure out what to do from this point in terms of taper/testing my running/deciding if I should do the race. I want to continue to rest my ankle as much as I can, of course, but I also need to be sure that going to Chicago is going to be worth it. I certainly don’t want to DNF—but I would also like to know that if it happens, it would be around mile 18 as opposed to mile 7, you know?

So I need some advice…in terms of balancing taper and testing my ability to run…what would you do? My plan is to make the final call next Sunday, so I think I’ll go with my originally scheduled 12 easy miles on Saturday. If I feel like I can do that (and could keep going) I *think* I’ll go for it. 

Ahh this is such a weird/different approach to tapering. I am someone who operates with the mindset of, “You never know until you try,” but I also don’t want to fly all the way to Chicago to run less than half of the race.

We’ll see…but in the meantime, I would love any input you have on the matter!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!


5 thoughts on “What would you do?

  1. Allison Raines (@AllisonRaines)

    Oh, goodness, this is such a tough call! I am so sorry you have to go through this. I *think if it were me, and I got through the 12 miles ok, I would go ahead and try to run it. I would be super diligent about resting it before then. Your training is essentially done. Now you just need to hold on, so the more you can rest it, the better! I’m pulling for you!!!

  2. runfundone

    I’ve been burned by the mistake of racing on an injury, figuring it couldn’t get worse, so I wouldn’t run it. BUT, I’m surprised your doctor gave you the go ahead, so maybe it’s a very different situation for you. So here’s what I’d say: If it was a sports medicine doctor/orthopedist who said it was okay, then maybe do it. If it was a primary care doctor, definitely don’t do it!

  3. Pingback: Chicago Marathon Training Week #11 + Weekend | Run Birdie Run

  4. Emily

    That is a tough one. The selfish part of my says come, try to run, and par-tay with me in corral C. However, I’ll try to put myself in your shoes. You have been cross-training so it seems your body is probably more than ready for the marathon. I think if you can do 12, and you can accept that you are going to run the marathon by feel and stop if needed, I would say do it? I think.

  5. Pingback: Decision Time | Run Birdie Run

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s